Taylor Pyles

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Taylor Pyles

Taylor Pyles is a child abuse survivor and the founder of The Blue Ribbon Project. He has been a police officer with Annapolis Police Department for over a decade and is assigned as a Detective in the Criminal Investigations Section.  When not working, you'll find him spending time with his family and out enjoying the countryside on two wheels. 


kim hartlove bio

Kim Hartlove is the Program Coordinator for The Blue Ribbon Project's Aging Up...Not Out program. Kim has been the project coordinator for the A.L.E.R.T. program with the Annapolis Police Department since 2013. Currently enrolled in University of Maryland University College, she is majoring in Communications Studies with a minor in Women’s Studies. She has almost 20 years’ experience as an educator having worked with students of all different learning levels since 1996.  Her most recent experience working with youth was assisting learning disabled middle school students where she worked for 7 years.  Helping students succeed has always been a passion and priority to Kim. She has been a lifelong Maryland resident where she still currently lives with husband and family.

The Blue Ribbon Project's core belief is that all foster youth should be given a chance to succeed in life. Upon speaking with foster youth directly, a major concern expressed is the ability to find employment. Additionally, research shows that young people in foster care are far more likely to endure homelessness, poverty, compromised health, unemployment and incarceration after leaving the foster care system.

There are approximately 175,000 youth ages 10–18 in foster care in the United States. Of these youth, an estimated 5–10 percent—and likely more—are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning (LGBTQ). Like all young people, LGBTQ youth in foster care need the support of a nurturing family to help them negotiate adolescence and grow into healthy adults. However, LGBTQ youth in foster care face additional challenges.

    If you were to think back on your most memorable childhood moments, what would they be? Swimming with friends? Riding a bicycle? Scoring the winning goal in a soccer came?  Now, put yourself in the shoes of an abused child and imagine what his or her most memorable moments would be. Frightening, isn't it?   

Our  Local Resources Section is dedicated to local resources that work with child abuse and neglect victims, as well as those that work with adult survivors of child abuse. We want visitors to our website to find the help they need, no matter where they are located. These listings can include anything from Child Advocacy Centers to Drug Addiction and Counseling. Our directory is only open to those businesses and resources that meet this criteria. It is 100% Free to be listed within our directory.

woman phoneEach State designates specific agencies to receive and investigate reports of suspected child abuse and neglect. Typically, this responsibility is carried out by child protective services (CPS) within a Department of Social Services, Department of Human Resources, or Division of Family and Children Services. In some States, police departments also may receive reports of child abuse or neglect.

Many States have an in-State toll-free number, listed below, for reporting suspected abuse. The reporting party must be calling from the same State where the child is allegedly being abused for the following numbers to be valid.

For States not listed, or when the reporting party resides in a different State than the child, please call Childhelp, 800-4-A-Child (800-422-4453), or your local CPS agency. 







Alaska (AK) 800-478-4444
Arizona (AZ) 888-SOS-CHILD, (888-767-2445)
Arkansas (AR) 800-482-5964
Connecticut (CT) 800-842-2288, 800-624-5518 (TDD/hearing impaired)
Delaware (DE) 800-292-9582
Florida (FL) 800-96-ABUSE, (800-962-2873)
Illinois (IL) 800-252-2873, (From out of State, call 217-524-2606)
Indiana (IN) 800-800-5556
Iowa (IA) 800-362-2178
Kansas (KS) 800-922-5330
Kentucky (KY) 800-752-6200
Maine (ME) 800-452-1999
Maryland (MD) 800-332-6347
Massachusetts (MA) 800-792-5200
Michigan (MI) 800-942-4357
Mississippi (MS) 800-222-8000
Missouri (MO) 800-392-3738
Montana (MT) 800-332-6100
Nebraska (NE) 800-652-1999
Nevada (NV) 800-992-5757
New Hampshire (NH) 800-894-5533
New Jersey (NJ) 800-792-8610, 800-835-5510 (TDD/hearing impaired)
New Mexico (NM) 800-797-3260
New York (NY) 800-342-3720
North Carolina (NC) Contact the appropriate County Department of Social Services for the number for Child Protective Services.
North Dakota (ND) 800-245-3736
Oklahoma (OK) 800-522-3511
Oregon (OR) 800-854-3508, ext. 2402
Pennsylvania (PA) 800-932-0313
Rhode Island (RI) 800-RI-CHILD, (800-742-4453)
Texas (TX) 800-252-5400
Utah (UT) 800-678-9399
Virginia (VA) 800-552-7096
Washington (WA) 800-562-5624
West Virginia (WV) 800-352-6513
Wyoming (WY) 800-457-3659


junk car for cash 300x193The Blue Ribbon Project accepts vehicle donations that include cars, trucks, motorcycles, RV's, and even boats. Your donation is tax deductible and is a great way to avoid the trouble of having to sell your vehicle privately. Your donation supports programs such as "Backpacks of Love", "Aging up...Not Out", and "Foster Friends". This is a great way to free up space in your driveway and support kids in our community that are abused and neglected. Your generous donation goes a long way in supporting programs offered by The Blue Ribbon Project. We make donating your vehicle easy and pain free. Please use the form below to schedule a pick-up of your vehicle. 



Frequently Asked Questions and Tax Info
What are the benefits of donating my car to The Blue Ribbon Project?

The Blue Ribbon Project benefits by receiving a cash donation to fund new and existing programs and increase community awareness through local events.

You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.

Does my car have to be running to donate it?

In some cases we can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be tow-able. Contact a representative from our vehicle donation program toll-free at 855-500-RIDE (855-500-7433) to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pick-up.

Do you only accept cars for donation?

Many types of motor vehicles are accepted including boats, motorcycles, trucks, and cars. If you are uncertain as to whether or not your vehicle is eligible, please contact the vehicle donation program toll free at 855-500-RIDE (855-500-7433).

How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?

We make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. A tow company will contact you within two to three business days. Call our representatives at 855-500-RIDE (855-500-7433).

Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up?

No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representative.

What paperwork do I need?

The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title. Please have your title with you when you call in your donation. Note: A clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien.

Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car?

For states that require smog certificates or safety inspections, you may donate your vehicle without these documents.

What if I receive legal notices?

In the rare event that you receive any notification of a lien sale, DMV actions or other activity related to your donated vehicle, please contact us at 855-500-RIDE (855-500-7433) immediately for assistance.

Do I need to remove my license plates?

This law varies by state. Please refer to the DMV in your state for clear instructions. It is typically best practice (and may be required by law) to remove your plates and turn them into your local DMV.

How does the new law effect my tax deduction?

Donors are no longer responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. Instead, they will receive IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes if the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle. The amount listed on IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be the gross proceeds of the deductible donation.

Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?

Yes, our driver will issue a receipt at the time of pickup. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the car you are donating. This is not your final tax receipt, but an acknowledgment of the pick-up of your vehicle. Please note that in some cases -- depending upon the location from which your vehicle was picked up -- you may not receive a towing receipt.

After the sale of your vehicle, you will receive a thank you letter from The Blue Ribbon Project acknowledging your donated vehicle.

If your vehicle sold for less than $500, this letter or your 1098-C form will serve as your official acknowledgment. As the donor, you may make your best determination of the amount you wish to deduct for tax purposes, based on mileage, condition, etc., up to but not meeting or exceeding $500.

If your vehicle sold for $500 or greater at auction and you have provided your social security number, you will receive an IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes with the Blue Ribbon Project acknowledgment letter, stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car in Box 4C. This form will indicate the amount allowable for tax deduction purposes.

If your IRS Form 1098-C has Box 7 checked, you will be limited to a deduction of $500, even if your gross proceeds exceed the $500 threshold. The most common reason for this Box being checked is failure to provide your Social Security Number or estate tax I.D. number to our vehicle donation agency at the time of your donation. If you do not intend to deduct the vehicle donation on your tax return, no further action is necessary. If you wish to deduct the gross proceeds for the sale of your vehicle, please contact Charitable Auto ResourceS at 855-500-RIDE (855-500-7433), provide your SSN, and an ammeded Form 1098-C will be issued to you.

How is the value determined on the vehicle donated?

The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle. You no longer have the burden of determining the value yourself.

Does the new law affect The Blue Ribbon Project?

The Blue Ribbon Project has additional paperwork in reporting the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the vehicle to the donor and IRS. The process of obtaining the cash donation from the vehicle remains the same.

What can I claim as a deduction?

According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.

What if my car is valued over $5000?

Effective January 1, 2005, you are no longer required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle.

Girls 15-17 Years of Age

  • 2 to 3 Pairs of Socks
  • 2 to 3 Pairs of Underwear
  • Body Wash
  • Bath Puff
  • Shampoo and Conditioner
  • Deodorant
  • Feminine Pads
  • Lotion
  • 2 Shirts
  • 2 Pairs of Pants (that stretch for different sizes)
  • Pajamas or Night Clothes
  • Toothbrush & Toothpaste
  • Age Appropriate Book
  • Hairbrush
  • Hair Ties
  • Age Appropriate Games or Toy
  • Writing Journal with Pen or Pencil
  • Small Blanket or Quilt

Boys 15-17 Years of Age

  • 2 to 3 Pairs of Socks
  • 2 to 3 Pairs of Underwear
  • Body Wash
  • Shampoo and Conditioner
  • Deodorant
  • Lotion
  • 2 Shirts
  • 2 Pairs of Pants (that stretch for different sizes)
  • Pajamas or Night Clothes
  • Toothbrush & Toothpaste
  • Age Appropriate Book
  • Comb
  • Age Appropriate Games or Toy
  • Writing Journal with Pen or Pencil
  • Small Blanket or Quilt
Page 6 of 13

Members & Volunteers