Covid-19 Update & Flooding: With the spread of Covid-19, The Blue Ribbon Project is following guidance from our local and state government and will be postponing all Volunteer events until further notice. In addition to this, The Blue Ribbon Project recently experienced a significant flood to the lower floor of our building. Repairs are being made, however, this has made some of our rooms inaccessible. Mirah's Closet and other portions of The Blue Ribbon Project are OPEN by appointment.
This year's Gerber baby has been chosen!
Gerber’s 10th Annual Photo Search winner is Magnolia Earl, who will represent the brand as this year’s spokesbaby.
Magnolia, from Ross, California, was chosen among 327,000 contestants who submitted their photos, videos and stories through Gerber’s contest website.
Magnolia and her family were rewarded a $25,000 cash prize, $1,000 in Gerber Childrenswear, $1,000 from Walmart and phones with a year of free unlimited service from Verizon.
“At a time when we are yearning for connection and unity, Magnolia and her family remind us of the many things that bring us together: our desire to love and be loved, our need to find belonging, and our recognition that family goes way beyond biology," said Bill Partyka, president and CEO of Gerber.
Linebacker Dre Greenlaw overcame a lot of adversity to settle into his role as an integral defensive player with the 49ers last season.
Greenlaw faced tremendous odds off the field, as his youth primarily was spent in foster care. There were plenty of rough times on the field during his four-year career at Arkansas, too.
The team went 6-18 in Greenlaw’s final two seasons of college. In the first season without Greenlaw, the Razorbacks went 2-10 for the second consecutive year in 2019.
Arkansas prospects at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last week had to answer questions about the team’s lack of success.
"I think the last two seasons we had going 4-20 reflected on a lot of our character,” Arkansas linebacker De’Jon “Scoota” Harris said. “It showed that we stuck through hard situations and we had to overcome a lot of adversity that we had to overcome.
“We had to step up as leaders as a team. We had to keep leading the way. I feel like we showed that a lot the past two seasons, and these coaches know that. We just keep doing what we're doing and executing our plans to go out there Saturday and show that we can play at this next level."
Greenlaw faced many of the same questions a year ago, and NFL.com rated him as a seventh-round pick or priority free agent before the draft. The 49ers selected Greenlaw in the fifth round with the No. 148 overall draft pick.
Greenlaw started 11 games for the 49ers. He took over at weakside linebacker when Kwon Alexander missed the second half of the season due to a torn pectoral. Greenlaw made the defensive play of the season when he stopped Seattle tight end Jacob Hollister just shy of the goal line in the closing seconds to preserve the 49ers’ crucial Week 17 victory.
"He's definitely (an inspiration) when you watch him you want to have that type of rookie year,” Arkansas defensive lineman McTelvin Agim said.
Greenlaw remained in the starting lineup for the 49ers three postseason games, including Super Bowl LIV, when Alexander returned to the active roster. He is a key component of the 49ers' future. Harris and Agim said they have leaned on Greenlaw during the draft process to gain insight from a friend who went through it just one year ago.
Said Agim, “He says to be yourself. ‘Wherever you go, just try to focus on making the team and taking it one day at a time, honestly.’"
On January 5, 2020 the Annapolis Police Department received a report of sex offenses that occurred in the unit block of Juliana Circle West. The victim was identified as a 13 year old female. This investigation widened to include reports of child pornographic images.
The suspect was identified as Jose Argueta, 44, of Glen Burnie. He came into contact with the victim as the driver of a church transportation van. It was reported that on four occasions Argueta sexually assaulted the 13 year old victim and during some of these assaults pornographic photos of the victim were taken by Argueta.
Detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Jose Argueta charging him with nineteen counts relating to the assaults. On January 9, Argueta was located and arrested. He is being held at the Jennifer Road Detention Center without bond.
Submitting Anonymous Tips to Metro Crime Stoppers of Maryland
Metro Crime Stoppers of Maryland is an organization separate from the Annapolis Police Department. When you phone in or submit your Annapolis crime tip online or through the P3 Tips smartphone app Metro Crime Stoppers receives your tip anonymously and only forwards your tip information to the Annapolis Police Department. No identifying information is ever forwarded to us. Metro Crime Stoppers uses a special coding system to protect your identity, they do not use Caller ID or record telephone conversations. If your tip leads to the arrest or indictment of a person for a felony you could qualify for up to a $2,000 cash reward from Metro Crime Stoppers. You can submit a tip by calling 1-866-7LOCKUP (1-866-756-2587), visiting www.metrocrimestoppers.org, or through the P3 Tips smartphone app. The app can be found in the Apple or Android app stores by searching for P3 Tips.
Dashawn Wiggan had broken his foster home’s curfew.
With a mixture of fear and awe, he arrived with his boyfriend at the Christopher Street piers. Loud, fast beats with crashing rhythms met them in front of the dark Hudson River, where young dancers had congregated.
From the Anne Arundel County Police Department's Criminal Investigation Division- Major Crimes Section
On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at approximately 9:28 a.m., the Anne Arundel County Police and Fire Departments responded to the 7900 block of Chesapeake Drive, Orchard Beach, Maryland for a nine month old male infant in medical distress. The infant was transported to the Baltimore Washington Medical Center for further medical treatment. Life saving measures were continued at the hospital until 10:19 a.m. where the infant, identified as Niyear Taylor of the 7900 block of Chesapeake Drive, was pronounced deceased.
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ) — For years, advocates have pushed for stricter safeguards against child abuse or neglect.
Failure by officials to report suspected abuse or neglect as required by law now carries jail time and fines.
The change comes in the wake of a notorious case of a former teachers aide in Prince George’s County, who in 2016 was indicted on 270 counts related to the sexual abuse of more than a dozen children at Judge Sylvania Woods Elementary School.
Deonte Carraway is now serving 75 years in prison for sexually exploiting children. Some students had reportedly gone to teachers about it, but nothing would be done.
“Two years ago, (then-county state’s attorney) Angela Alsobrooks testified on these hearings in Annapolis that when the Deonte Carraway case came up in Prince George’s County, she had no remedy to hold those professionals accountable,” said Adam Rosenburg with the Baltimore Child Abuse Center.
That changed in October. Maryland law now holds adults, including teachers, youth workers, healthcare personnel and others, responsible for filing written reports under penalty of law.
Failure to comply carries a penalty of up to three years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
“The child would say ‘This just happened to me,’ and the adult in authority wouldn’t do anything about it there,” Rosenburg said. “By not reporting the abuse, children continued to be abused and bad people continue to get away with it.”
Anne Arundel County State's Attorney Anne Colt Leitess announced today that a jury convicted James Robert IV, 38, of Severn of sex abuse of a minor, seven counts of rape and lesser included offenses. This appears to be the first case in the State of Maryland where a comfort dog accompanied a victim when testifying during a trial.
"Testifying in court can be extremely traumatizing for survivors of sexual assault especially for a child. In this case, the use of a comfort dog provided the survivor with a sense of safety as she recounted the horrific details about the abuse she suffered," said Anne Arundel County State's Attorney Anne Colt Leitess. "With professional counseling and continued family support, I hope that she will continue to heal. I am grateful that the defendant will be held accountable for his crimes and can no longer hurt her. I would like to thank Caring Canines for providing this valuable service to those who have been traumatized."
On November 15, 2018, the Anne Arundel County Police Department responded to the 1700 block of Carriage Court to conduct a well-being check after receiving a tip from a sexual assault tip line. The tip stated that the defendant, later identified as James Robert IV, had raped the survivor. On November 20, 2018, the Anne Arundel County Police Department and the Anne Arundel County Department of Social Services interviewed the survivor who revealed that the defendant raped her on four separate occasions and threatened to kill her. During one incident, she advised that he choked her and only stopped after she told him she was unable to breathe.
During the trial, the survivor testified with the aid of a comfort dog from Caring Canines. The dog and handler were trained and certified through PetPartners.org to provide interventions and emotional support for victims of trauma. In 2018, Anne Arundel County and Harford County Circuit Courts became part of a pilot program allowing the use of comfort animals in the courthouse. The program was launched with the support of Administrative Judge Laura Ripken who considers written requests made on behalf of children who appear in either civil or criminal proceedings.
Robert will be sentenced on January 29, 2020 by the Honorable Stacy W. McCormack.
Assistant State's Attorney Mary-Ann Burkhart prosecuted the case on behalf of the citizens of Anne Arundel County.
It was one of Canada's most promising social media apps. But Kik, once valued at $1 billion, is to be closed, in large part because of a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation into a cryptocurrency created by the app's owners.
Though not mentioned in the closure announcement released late Monday by CEO Ted Livingstone, the anonymous messaging app faced consistent criticism it had become a crime haven. Harassment and child exploitation, for instance, were constant problems.
In one shocking case, a 13-year-old was murdered by the man with whom she was communicating over Kik. A Forbes investigation later found that grooming and sharing of child abuse material was rife across the app. And earlier this year, it emerged the FBI had taken control of a Kik user's account to run groups sharing such illegal imagery for over a year as investigators sought to ensnare pedophiles.
But Livingtone didn't mention any of those problems. Instead, he said the company is refocusing on its cryptocurrency, Kin, launched back in 2017. In June the SEC charged Kin's creators over an initial coin offering (an ICO is a public sale of a cryptocurrency's tokens) that raised $100 million. (After another Forbes investigation, Kik promised to spend $10 million of that money on dealing with child abuse on the platform; with many other platforms, like Facebook and Twitter, also now investing hundreds of millions to deal with similar problems, the “anything goes” era now well and truly over.)
The SEC believes that Kin coins are, effectively, securities and should be regulated as such. That meant that the ICO should've been registered with the SEC, which it wasn't, according to the regulator. In a blog post, Livingstone cited problems with fighting the SEC on that issue as one of the core reasons for closing Kik.
Days before Francois Brown was to stand trial for beating his girlfriend’s toddler to death, city prosecutors accused him of once fracturing the femur of a baby girl.
Assistant State’s Attorney Michele Lambert told a judge that Brown fractured a baby girl’s leg bone in November 2017, bringing to three the number of young children he allegedly hurt. Two of them died.
“The improbability of the defendant being innocently entangled in two child homicides and one serious non-fatality in the span of six years in facially inconceivable,” Lambert told the judge.
Paul Iantosca, the Denville school principal accused of trying to solicit sex from a 16-year-old former student, pleaded guilty on Wednesday to child abuse.
The 52-year-old principal of Valleyview Middle School was arrested in May after sending the student sexual messages on Snapchat, a social media platform, and arranging to meet him in a Denville parking lot.
DENTON — An Easton woman has been charged with child abuse after allegedly leaving an 18-month-old child along state Route 328 near Denton, state police said.
Elizabeth Newnam, 29, of 29416 Petunia Drive, is charged with second-degree child abuse, neglect of a minor, reckless endangerment, second-degree assault, disorderly conduct and driving under the influence.
Read the full story at Times-Record (MD Eastern Shore)