Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect

woman phoneEach State designates specific agencies to receive and investigate reports of suspected child abuse and neglect. Typically, this responsibility is carried out by child protective services (CPS) within a Department of Social Services, Department of Human Resources, or Division of Family and Children Services. In some States, police departments also may receive reports of child abuse or neglect.

Many States have an in-State toll-free number, listed below, for reporting suspected abuse. The reporting party must be calling from the same State where the child is allegedly being abused for the following numbers to be valid.

For States not listed, or when the reporting party resides in a different State than the child, please call Childhelp, 800-4-A-Child (800-422-4453), or your local CPS agency. 







Alaska (AK) 800-478-4444
Arizona (AZ) 888-SOS-CHILD, (888-767-2445)
Arkansas (AR) 800-482-5964
Connecticut (CT) 800-842-2288, 800-624-5518 (TDD/hearing impaired)
Delaware (DE) 800-292-9582
Florida (FL) 800-96-ABUSE, (800-962-2873)
Illinois (IL) 800-252-2873, (From out of State, call 217-524-2606)
Indiana (IN) 800-800-5556
Iowa (IA) 800-362-2178
Kansas (KS) 800-922-5330
Kentucky (KY) 800-752-6200
Maine (ME) 800-452-1999
Maryland (MD) 800-332-6347
Massachusetts (MA) 800-792-5200
Michigan (MI) 800-942-4357
Mississippi (MS) 800-222-8000
Missouri (MO) 800-392-3738
Montana (MT) 800-332-6100
Nebraska (NE) 800-652-1999
Nevada (NV) 800-992-5757
New Hampshire (NH) 800-894-5533
New Jersey (NJ) 800-792-8610, 800-835-5510 (TDD/hearing impaired)
New Mexico (NM) 800-797-3260
New York (NY) 800-342-3720
North Carolina (NC) Contact the appropriate County Department of Social Services for the number for Child Protective Services.
North Dakota (ND) 800-245-3736
Oklahoma (OK) 800-522-3511
Oregon (OR) 800-854-3508, ext. 2402
Pennsylvania (PA) 800-932-0313
Rhode Island (RI) 800-RI-CHILD, (800-742-4453)
Texas (TX) 800-252-5400
Utah (UT) 800-678-9399
Virginia (VA) 800-552-7096
Washington (WA) 800-562-5624
West Virginia (WV) 800-352-6513
Wyoming (WY) 800-457-3659


Members & Volunteers